Thursday, April 13, 2006

Fire drills

Today i worked, in Estacada, at Clackamas River Elementary. It's the first time I've worked at this school so i was still learning schedules, temperments, and a bunch of other stuff that varies from classroom to classroom. The day went pretty smooth except for when we had a fire drill. This is only the second fire alarm i've been apart of since working for the ESD and this one we had fair warning. The last time, some Highschool kid pulled the alarm and there was only 2 teachers in the classroom at the time. We had just gotten one of the kids out of his whell chair and onto a mat, which takes a two person lift and there were 3 other kids also in the classroom that freaked. anyways...
We had fair warning but still it's not something you can explain to many of these kids so there's lot of yelling, hiding, and just pandomonia! It all worked out and it was nice to get out of the building and get some fresh, warm air.

I look back on my experiences with Fire drills, Tsunami drills and Earthquake drills (all which comes fequently when you grow up on the Coast) and i never realized what an effort it is to get people out of a building in a quick and orderly fashion. I remember liking it when it happened during tests, just so i could get out of it for the time being. ok that's all for now...

4 comments:

Bex said...

Fire drills...oh the joy!! They scare me every time!!! ...and I have to tell my kids that it's happening...Hey kids, there's a REALLY REALLY loud noise right now that means we have to go stand outside in the snow without our coats on! Yipee!! =)
By the way...I miss you.
By the other way...I love your slide show. =)
By the third way...I love you a lot!!

thesticklergirl said...

My favorite were the bomb threats..
stupid high schoolers would think they were so cool by calling the middle school with a bomb threat and then we all got to go hang out at the football field all day.. THANK YOU STUPID HIGH SCHOOLERS!!

Bethany said...

Then if it was someone who actually had a few brain cells left, we'd wonder why they didn't say that there was a bomb in the Football stadium AND school cause the school officials would be at a loss. "You have like a hour off for us to look for the bomb but then come back to school." - I don't think that would work very well.

ingodslove said...

Hi girl! We had a kid at my school pull the fire alarm when I was supervising on break. I had seen him fooling around by it and I told him to knock it off and he said he was just trying to figure out how it worked which I guess is sort of noble, except that as soon as I turned around to check on some other kids, I heard that buzzy ring fire alarm sound. He was sooooo embarassed I think. It actually worked out okay, because it turns out the school's drill system was too out-dated to really be safe in an actual fire, so they figured that out and fixed it. PS is there a weekend you are free to camp this summer? Please lets pencil something in before the dates are all gone! -Amy